Gromit Unleashed - Artist Interview, Paula Bowles

Wednesday, June 05, 2013
We are super excited to bring another artist interview in our Gromit Unleashed series.  Last week we were tantalized with a sneaky peek of Dave Bain's dog.  Today we are delighted to bring you fellow Made in Bristol artist Paula Bowles.  Over to you Paula...

Please can you introduce yourself and tell us a little bit about your work?
My name is Paula Bowles, and I write and illustrate children’s picture books. My picture book artwork is mainly pencil and watercolour. I’m currently working on my third book with an American publisher called Tiger Tales, and my first book with Bloomsbury which is all very exciting!

Why did you want to get involved with the Gromit Unleashed project?
As a children's book author and illustrator, I enjoy inspiring and entertaining children through narrative. I live in Bristol too, so to get involved with Gromit Unleashed and raise money for the Bristol Children's Hospital felt like a great opportunity. 

Where did inspiration for your design come from? 
As Gromit is a Bristolian at heart who enjoys a good tea party, I thought he would appreciate being adorned with the colourful city, with plenty of bunting to go round. I also wanted my Gromit to appeal to children, so a lot of the detail is between the ground and child eye level. 

Please describe how you designed your Gromit? 
I printed outlines of Gromit’s profile, front and back, and then sketched out my design by hand in coloured pencil. 
Where are/were you painting your Gromit? 
That’s top secret I’m afraid! Has it been a challenge transferring your style of work to a 3D dog? It was tricky to imagine Gromit as a 3D figure at the sketch stage, so the design naturally changed form slightly when transferring to 3D! 

What Bristol location would your Gromit feel at home? 
My Gromit would feel at home anywhere where it’s busy, colourful and community orientated. A street party would be perfect! 

What is your favourite Wallace & Gromit film? 
The Wrong Trousers! Gotta love that evil penguin… 
We understand there are many amazing people involved in the Gromit Unleashed trail, which Gromit are you looking forward to seeing and why? 
Ooh, it’s hard to choose a favourite, but perhaps my children’s book heroes Sir Quentin Blake, Raymond Briggs and Axel Scheffler. 

Can you tell us any Gromit secrets?
I can’t reveal too much, but I can tell you that we have a delicious selection of chocolate biscuits and an unlimited supply of tea! 

Eeeek! Paula thank you for showing us a little bit of your Gromit. Gosh how exciting. We cannot wait! For more information about the Gromit Unleashed trail and the artists involved, please hop over and visit their website.

No comments:

Post a Comment