Meet the Maker - Sarah Packington

Wednesday, June 19, 2013
Today's Meet the Maker interview is by the talented Sarah Packington.  Sarah, from Brighton, creates beautiful dip dyed acrylic jewellery.  Newly stocked in our Made in Britain shop, they are  already proving extremely popular.  Here is a little more about her...
Please can you introduce yourself and tell us a little about your work? 
I design and make contemporary jewellery using dyed acrylic. 

Apart from creating things what else do you do? 
I am a mum to two girls, I sing in a community choir , go to a book group, and enjoy yoga, cycling and walking. 

When did you know you were an artist/maker? 
I have always made things, starting off with clothes and furniture for my Cindy dolls when I was a kid. 

What do you love most about working in your chosen discipline? 
I love being my own boss, allowed to be creative all day. 

Where does your inspiration come from? 
I am always on the look out for interesting colours, patterns and textures. I am drawn to textile patterns, particularly 1950's designs by Lucienne Day and Jaqueline Groag
Describe your studio or workspace? 
Rose Hill Workshops in a co-operative open plan workshop. We have 7 jewellers, two woodworkers and a ceramicist. I have been there since it started 20 years ago! 

If you could peek inside the studio of any artist, designer or craftsman (dead or alive), who would it be? 
How would you describe your creative process? 
I start with lots of doodles,then make experimental models. When I am happy with a shape, I draw an outline on the computer and get the shapes lasercut. When I get them back, its time for lots of cutting, dying, polishing and drilling to make the finished pieces. 
What handmade possession do you most cherish? 
A felt bag for keeping my jewellery in made by my daughter. 
What do you when you are stuck in a creative rut? 
Lift up my head and take a look at the world around me. 

Which is your favourite local independent shop or eatery & why? 
In Brighton it is Archers our local organic butchers. 
Where would you like to be in ten years?
Still making jewellery for lovely ladies (and gents) to buy. Who knows what it will have evolved into? 
Gosh Sarah, we love your work!  Those magenta ear rings are just stunning.  Thank you for your interview. 
You can find Sarah's acrylic jewellery next to the counter in our Made in Britain shop.  Perfect for summer.

Made in Britain
(next to Carluccio's)
Quakers Friars
Cabot Circus
Bristol
Mon - Sat: 10am - 6pm
Sun: 11am - 5pm


No comments:

Post a Comment