Gromit Unleashed - Artist Interview, Sarah Matthews

Thursday, August 15, 2013
Probably one of the most visited Gromit's beneath the Clifton Suspension Bridge resides Sarah Matthew's Gromit - Ship Shape and Bristol Fashion.  We asked Sarah a little more about it...

Please can you introduce yourself and tell us the inspiration behind your Gromit design?
My name is Sarah Matthews, and I am a designer and illustrator working at Aardman Animations. When I moved to Bristol a few years ago I fell in love with the landscapes and the lovely buildings, so I started to draw them in my spare time, and created them as prints and cards. I wanted my Gromit to show off Bristol at it's best, from historical attractions to exciting markets and graffiti. I think it captures what a vibrant, fun and beautiful city it is.
How was it creating a 3d dog?
When we first received the plain white Gromit's, it was quite overwhelming as they are SO big, but after a little climb on him and a massive doodle in pencil I started to get really excited and couldn't wait to start! It was scary having to make the first move with permanent black pen, but once I started I didn't want to stop, it was hugely satisfying seeing my illustrations on such a large 3D scale rather than an A6 card. I kept coming up with new ideas as I progressed with the design, which for me was really fun as I enjoyed having to adapt and create something really unique. I found the painting stage quite tricky as I added all the colour after I'd drawn the whole design, and I really liked seeing it in black and white, showing off the detail, but once I started with the bright blue sky I knew it would bring the whole design together.
Where can we find your Gromit?
It's at Sion Hill in Clifton, which has the most beautiful landscape of the Clifton Suspension Bridge behind it. I couldn't have asked for a prettier location, and as I've drawn the bridge on the Gromit it's a fantastic back-drop.

Thank you Sarah, your Gromit is so Bristol!  We love it.  
If you look at the trail map - you can find Sarah's Gromit at number 53 - Sion Hill. 
You can follow Sarah on her tumblr site:  http://sarah-matthews.tumblr.com/

To downlaod your own trail map please visit the Gromit Unleashed website.

No comments:

Post a Comment