Meet the Maker - Sparrow + Wolf

Wednesday, December 17, 2014
Cherie of Sparrow + Wolf designs geometric inspired homewares.  We knew Cherie's work would be perfect for the Christmas Design Temporium at The Architecture Centre this.  Design led and oh so cool. We caught up with Cherie to find out more...
Please can you introduce yourself and tell us a little about your work? 
My name is Cherie and I run Sparrow + Wolf, a design studio based in Birmingham. I work as an illustrator and my Sparrow + Wolf designs come from my illustrations. I always wanted to expand into product design and the transition has been quite organic. I like to focus on using British manufacturers for things like our fabric printing and stationery printing as this is just a small way of supporting our great industries. 

What do you love most about working in your chosen discipline? 
I get to see amazing design and work with the most wonderful shops all around the world. I also am lucky enough to be taking part in amazing pop up shops such as the Temporium that I find really exciting!

What is your favourite family Christmas tradition?
My Mum’s epic Christmas dinners which are the best around. I know everyone says that, but they really are something special!! It’s my favourite time of year. 
What handmade item is high on your Christmas wish list? 
I love handmade soaps, or screen printed items such as lovely cushions or tea towels. But items don’t have to be practical for me to fall in love with them, I’m a big fan of quirky ceramic ornaments too. 
Do you have any tips on selling over the Christmas period?
I would just advise to keep your eye on stock levels and build up relationships with your suppliers incase you need to top up your stocks. Keep showcasing your items on your social media and try to get into Craft fairs with designers you think you sit nicely along side. It can be hard to resist spending anything you make at Craft fairs on other lovely items from other sellers but at least at Christmas you have an excuse! I quite often end up trading items which is really nice. 

If you could choose a fellow artist/maker to collaborate with, who would it be and why? 
I’m a big fan of LogLike’s awesome tactile wooden fruits, or Jo Ham’s whimsical rabbit portraits. I don’t know how it would work as they’re both very different to me, but perhaps that could be an interesting challenge! I find them both really talented & fun! 
Which artist do you find inspiring to follow on Facebook or Twitter? 
I love Donna Wilson’s playful products and love seeing all of her new creations come to life in ceramic, wool or wooden form. 
Finally if you could design a Christmas decoration, what would it be and why? 
I think I’d design a door wreath full of bright big pom poms from our cushions. That actually sounds amazing and I want to try it out now!! 

Thank you Cherie, we love your idea of a pom pom wreath!  You can find Cherie's beautiful homewares in our Christmas Design Temporium at The Architecture Centre which is open everyday until Dec 23rd.
Christmas Design Temporium
The Architecture Centre
Narrow Quay
Bristol

Tues - Sun: 10am - 6pm

No comments:

Post a Comment